The prophetic intuition
When the Holy Spirit suggested to her that the hour of realizing the vision of “Brudazzo” had come Angela gathered round her young women who like her understood, through the witness of their own life, could contribute for this “Reform”.
In Brescia on the 25th November 1535 Angela and 28 other women promised to follow the Lord, while remaining in the world as virgins. And to confirm their will, they wrote their names in an exercise book prepared for this purpose, in the presence of a chancellor. Thus the Company was bornto which Angela gave the name of St. Ursula as the patron saint, a saint who was very much venerated in the 5th century. The choice of this courageous saint for the Company is very significant because she succeeded to guide a very good number of companions to faith, for the offering of oneself to Christ and for martyrdom.
This choice is a recall of the virgins of the matrimony with Christ and of the feminine role in the Church and the world.. The foundation of Angela suddenly presented itself strongly innovative and original in a context where youth were considered perpetual minors as women as well as Christians under the custody first of father and then the husband or of the superiors of the convent. This form of consecration gave them the possibility of realizing themselves fully as women and as Christians, while remaining in their own surrounding earning their own living, committing themselves in different human realities being at the same time consecrated to Him for good.
Her genial and prophetic intuition was a forerunner of her times. In fact the Church recognized the Secular Institutes as a form of Consecrated life to God in the world only in 1947.
Angela left to her “daughters and sisters” some short writings : the Rule, the Counsels and the Testament in which a pedagogical intuition of an exceptional actuality was revealed and it manifested the richness of her great spirituality and humanity.
Angela died in Brescia on the 27th January 1540 and was buried in the Church of St. Afra where the remains of the first brescian martyrs are kept and that, today, it is a sanctuary dedicated to her. In a short time she was considered “Saint” by the ordinary people who knew her and loved her. The Church had solemnly proclaimed her sanctity on the 24th May 1807.